Friday, February 20, 2009

Sending mail with emacs in Windows


Thanks to a commenter in my earlier blog post for pointing me to this way of sending mail that actually does work:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP

You need to download msstp from sourceforge and install the exe in your path.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/msmtp/

There is one change I needed to make to get this working. In the config file:

msmtprc.txt

You need to add a line

from your.email@address.here

Without that I was getting an error number and no email. If you run into a problem like that you can make sure MSSTP is running by trying it from the command line:

msmtp -a yourname some@recipient.com

Type some mail and hit Ctrl-Z and it should send correctly.

Once that is working you can enter gnus within emacs, and send a mail using:

M-x message-mail

Fill out the fields and type C-c C-c and it should send correctly.

A security issue with this is that it doesn't seem to work if you leave your password empty in the configuration file. From the command line it simply prompts you for your password and away you go, but from emacs it just hangs. So if you use this method you're taking the huge risk of having your password in a readable file on the hard drive. I'll be trying to find a way around that before using this permanently.

2 comments:

Alex said...

There is the good tool,which recover and perphars more than mails-recovery dbx outlook,as far as I know application is free and has many other capabilities,utiltiy is one of the most effective email recovery solutions, just try it and make sure, that this solution has various advantages, when comparing to other email recovery tools,repair your email, when other ways to prevent data corruption are useless and they could not stop an attack, tool processes damaged archives in dbx format and attempts to unpack all items, that are stored inside,reads your mailbox and analysis it for errors.

Alex said...

Some days ago I synchronised my contacts on computer with mobile,and unexpectedly all my contacts on PC was deleted.But accidentally in inet I found-outlook express extract dbx.Software has free status as far as I remember,it recover my contacts.In addition program can likewise epair messages from all folders and extract .dbx files.